Huge refactoring of Synchronize-DNSZones.ps1

Today I finished huge refactoring of my Synchronize-DNSZones script (see more about it here). The main reason to refactor was to introduce a support to synchronize zone-level records. To efficiently achieve this, I converted a huge pile of code into several smaller functions. I also improved code readability by PS 3.0 standards (apparently, it is also StrictMode-compatible now).
I improved error handling by introducing 3 new error events:
55 – DNS-zone creation is not yet supported. (And I don’t think I’ll ever support it)
72 – Function New-DnsRecord failed.
82 – Cannot import DNSClient PowerShell module.

I finally replaces unapproved verbs in function names to approved ones (see Get-Verb). I shall change the name of the script itself later.
Fixed an issue when Receive-DnsData sometimes returns empty response and.
Fixed typos and incorrect error handling and slightly enhanced comments.
And I also added forgotten definition of $SMTPCc variable.

In the future I plan to add ShouldProcess support (WhatIf).

Pull-requests / issues are welcome!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.